Sanford 50 Years Ago

Soccer players at Shaw Field. Photo: Sanford Tribune, August 23, 1976
By Lawrence Furbish
Sanford’s 2,600 cable TV subscribers were facing an increase of 75 cents a month for their service, a rate increase of 11%. The rate hike was approved by a 2-to-1 vote of the Sanford Board of Selectmen. The two affirmative votes came from selectmen who believed it would allow York Cable to increase its services to more customers and because the company had provided good service. The selectman voting no was generally unwilling to favor increases. The local manager of York Cable said he had received requests from more than 1,000 local residents for additional French speaking channels.
Officials from a dozen York County cities and towns met with State Bureau of Taxation officials to discuss new property valuation figures going into effect in 1977. The figures suggested a 30 to 35% increase in property valuations in the county’s 28 cities and towns, which in turn would likely result in property tax increases. According to the Tribune, the process of determining a town’s valuation is “a complicated procedure full of adjustments and exceptions.” Preliminary figures for Sanford were $104,000,000 for 1975, rising to $124,900,000 in 1976. The 2026 figure for Sanford is $3,089,800,000.
Committees were being formed to rewrite the bylaws of the Sanford Fire Services call department (firefighters who are not regular town employees). This was required by changes in the Fire Department’s chain of command. Previously, the top men in the call department were assistant chiefs but the reorganization severed them from the call department and made them strictly within the department’s management. Fire Commission Chairman Gary Sullivan said it was up to the call force to determine how to organize themselves.
Summer soccer meant that baseball wasn’t the only game in town. Every Monday and Thursday night, about 40 locals ranging in age from 8 to 30 showed up to play soccer at Shaw Field in Springvale. The program was organized by Gordon Wakelin, who had coached soccer at Nasson College. It was started in 1975 and was free, but the following year there was a charge to allow for the purchase of balls and equipment. According to Wakelin, “everyone plays together – boys, girls, young and old because everyone is out there to have fun.”
General Chair Arvin Roberts announced that four days of continuous activity were planned for the Acton Fair. A large new exhibit hall was scheduled to open, and Maine country and western music star Dick Curless was scheduled to perform.
In a short column entitled “Sanford in Days Gone By,” the Tribune reported that on Aug. 19, 1926, the Goodall Worsted Company began paying employees by check rather than with cash.
Readers were urged to keep the spirit of 1776 ringing by buying US Savings Bonds.
At Shop’n Save with a coupon, you could get Planter’s peanut butter for 68 cents and Miracle Whip salad dressing for 78 cents.
Red oak and maple firewood was selling for $35 a cord.
“Jaws” was coming to the Sanford Drive-In, plus “The Great Waldo Pepper.” Admission for adults was $1.75, and children under 12 were free.
Lawrence Furbish is president of the Sanford-Springvale Historical Society. The Historical Society Museum in Springvale has many resources regarding Sanford’s history. It is open Saturday, 10 am-2 pm and Friday 10 am-4 pm.


The post Sanford 50 Years Ago appeared first on Sanford Springvale News.



